Are you dreaming of becoming a construction manager very soon? Have you been thinking of where to get the best knowledge of construction management at the degree level?
Or do you want to study for a master’s degree in construction management?
Here in South Africa, there are many higher institutions where you can attend to become a professional in construction management.
These institutions are organizing both on-campus and online courses for students. The choice is yours to pick the one that suits you out of the two, depending on your availability.
About Construction Management
Construction management is a course that makes you become a professional business manager in infrastructure development, especially in the construction of buildings and the property industry.
Subjects you need for construction management are;
- Construction project management.
- Property development.
- Quantity surveying.
- Construction technology.
- Building science, materials, and structures.
- Economics and law.
Institutions that Offer Construction Management in South Africa
Below are the lists of universities that offer construction management in South Africa
1. UNIVERSITY OF PRETORIA
In the University of Pretoria, undergraduate (BSc) and postgraduate (BSc Hons) are the two degrees in construction management from the Department of Construction Economics.
The first phase of obtaining a BSc in Construction Management is a three-year degree course
Courses focused on are
- Technical(main course)
The following are the requirements for admission into the university
- An interview and an entrance examination must be attended.
- A minimum mark of 40% in a semester/year is required to be admitted to the examination in a specific module.
- A final mark of 50% is required to pass a module.
Once the BSc degree has been obtained, the student can continue with the postgraduate (BSc Hons).
This requires no supplementary or special examinations at this level. Two hundred forty hours of practical experience, together with excellent results in all the modules, are required to obtain the BSc (Hons) degree.
Courses in BSc (Hons)
- Financial management.
- Project management.
- Strategic management.
2. UNIVERSITY OF CAPE TOWN
Postgraduate Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Construction Management is a postgraduate degree program offered by construction studies graduates at the University of Cape Town.
On completion, graduates are professionally qualified as construction managers.
As a result, they can identify, analyze and solve problems in construction and property management.
- Management Accounting I
- Property Studies II
- Applied Contract Law II
- Practical Training
- Advanced Construction Management
- Integrated Management Project
- Construction Innovation
minimum of 12 credits from:
- Globalization & the Built Environment
- Measurement and Design Appraisal III
- Professional Practice
- Civil Engineering Measurement
- Housing Markets, Policy & Practice
Candidates must be
- A graduate of the BSc in Construction Studies degree from the university.
- A bachelor’s degree holder of any three-year course in this or any other recognized university as equivalent to the BSc in Construction Studies degree of this University.
The university offers an online eight weeks (excluding orientation) course on construction management.
3. UNIVERSITY OF THE WITWATERSRAND
The University of the Witwatersrand offers a two year of part-time study MSc (Building) in construction project management in the faculty of Engineering and Built Environment
Courses in the Construction Project Management field are as follows
- Construction Planning and Control
- Construction Economics and Finance
- Construction Contracts Law and Management
- Project Management in Construction
- Health, Safety, and Welfare in Construction
- *Research Methodology
Applicants must possess
- BSc in Building or Construction Management, or
- BArch in Town and Regional Planning, or
- BSc in Town and Regional Planning, or
- BSc (Hons) in Urban and Regional Planning, or
- MArch(Prof) in Property Studies or
- BSc in Property Studies, or
- BSc in Quantity Surveying, or
- BSc (Eng) in the branch of Civil Engineering, or
- BSc(Hons) (Economics) or
- BCom(Hons) in Finance, or BSc(Hons) in Finance
- DQA applications based on the years of appropriate working experience in the built environment field.
4. NELSON MANDELA UNIVERSITY
In Nelson Mandela University, Construction Management is a two-year part-time study during which students are provided with the knowledge of all aspects of building and construction to plan and oversee building projects and advise architects, engineers, and quantity surveyors, as well as serving as liaisons between architects and building contractors.
The students would offer the following courses;
- Accounting and Project Finance.
- Health and Safety A
- Corporate Strategy
- Management Information System
- for Construction and IT Application
- Research Methodology
- Construction Marketing
- International Construction
- Risk Management
- Human Resources Management (Including Leadership and Communications)
Candidates shall have one the
following minimum qualifications to qualify for admission:
- a Bachelor of Science Hons (Quantity Surveying) or
- a Bachelor of Science Honours(Construction Management), or
- a Master of Architecture (Professional) qualification;
- a four-year Bachelor’s qualification in a building profession;
- a Bachelor of Technology (Quantity Surveying, Construction Management or Architecture) from a technical university, with a minimum of five years of relevant working experience;
- a diploma in Quantity Surveying (RQS or ARICS),
- Construction Management or Architecture, with a minimum of seven years’ relevant knowledge of working.
- All students shall be subject to a selection process laid down by the department and approved at the Faculty Management Committee if completing an entrance essay.
Except the Senate decides otherwise.
5. UNIVERSITY OF JOHANNESBURG
The Department of Construction Management and Quantity Surveying, the University of Johannesburg, gives opportunity to both full time and part-time students who want to study Construction Management and Quantity Survey
It’s a year program for full-time students while the part-time students spend two years on the agenda.
The department provides vocational–focused programs that incorporate a high level of academic theory and knowledge.
Candidates shall not be admitted for the degree unless they have:
- BSc in Construction Studies degree from the university; or
- Any three-year bachelor’s degree of the school, or
- any other recognized university by the Senate as equivalent to the BSc in Construction Studies degree of this University; or
- Any different manner attained a level of competence which in the opinion of the Senate is adequate for admission;
- A weighted average of at least 60% for all courses are undertaken for a bachelor’s degree with results for deferred (but not supplementary) examinations to be taken into account.
The following are other programs in Construction Management;
CPD Management and Consulting
This is an instructor-led three days (21 hours) online course that aims to introduce project managers to the best practices to be followed when managing projects in the construction and engineering environment.
It allows real-time feedback, questions and answers, and practical exercises.
Student manuals provided.
Courses to be Covered are;
- Welcome and introduction.
- Project Management Terminology.
- Project Stakeholders.
- Project Needs & Objectives.
- Project initiation / Concept /Feasibility
- Project Planning and Estimating
- Scope Management Planning
- Time Management Planning
- Cost Management Planning
- Quality Management Planning
- Resources Management Planning
- Communications Management Planning
- Risk Management Planning
- Procurement Management Planning
- Stakeholder Management Planning
- Security, Health, Safety, and Environment (HSSE) Management Planning
- Financial Management Planning
- Project Integration Management
- Execution / Construction
- Monitoring and Controlling
- Project close-out
Association of South African Quantity Surveyors (ASAQS) with 18 CPD Hours, Engineering Council of South Africa (ECSA) with 3 CPD Points, the South African Council for the Project and Construction Management Professions (SACPCMP) with 18 CPD hours, and South African Council for the Architectural Profession (SACAP) with 3 Credits accredited this course.
Academic Institute of Excellence
When you see the need to increase your understanding of construction management and civil engineering skills to become a sought-after project manager in the Civil Engineering Construction Industry, enroll yourself in the Academic Institute of Excellence.
Then, you need to attend the Academic Institute of Excellence program for the National Diploma in Management of Civil Engineering Construction Processes
You can further improve your mastery by selecting a specialization for your last semester.
In your last semester, you have the choice to make between two specializations,
Road Construction OR Building Construction
Microsoft Access, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and more skills are in high demand in the project management industry to improve job readiness.
AIE has put all these together in this program.
Online students are supported by technology and people throughout their academic journey.
Interested candidates are to possess
- Grade 12 with English as the first language
- Mathematical Literacy (min 40%)
- Science (Physics & Chemistry min 40%)
For the Microsoft Office, Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and others, candidates are required to have;
- A computer for this qualification. AIE, in agreement with Dell and TripleH, is obliged to supply each student with a Dell laptop to promote our DigitalCampus initiative. Available exclusively to AIE students, your education can now be used to finance your devices.,
Construction project management, combined with business and engineering principles, typically concentrates on the areas of budget, time management,
Choose one of the available construction management courses to improve your intelligence with developed capacities in construction engineering management with other related inter-disciplinary principles.
The more knowledgeable you are in construction management, the higher you will fly in handling your construction project.
That would speak a volume of your professionality in this field you have chosen as a career.